5.24.2010

We Missed Him (And A Question)


Alex went to a wedding last week, and was away from me and Burl for 6 days. 6 days too many. We could have gone with him, but I opted not to fly 5 hours with an active 2 year old who is still very particular about sleeping in our own bed. (My anxiety over flying and being away from my dogs and my home may also have had something to do with my choice to stay home.)


We all missed each other so very much. We're the type of family who all prefer to be together in the same room. All the time. When we're working, sleeping, playing, eating, we simply love being together. Being separated was strange for all of us, but I'm sure it was the strangest for poor little Burl, who couldn't stop talking about "dada" and couldn't quite completely understand why his dad was gone for so long. No worries though, we picked Alex up from the airport, Burl didn't leave his side for a few days, and all is back to normal now. We missed him. We missed his hugs, his kisses, his smell, his jokes, his clothes, his presence. We missed his buckwheat pillow that he so attachedly sleeps with every night. Which brings me to my question..

When you travel, what is the one thing you must take with you?

4 comments:

pencilfox said...

awww.
such a sweetly sentimental blog entry....


rarely do i travel and even more rarely do i travel sans mon mari.
on those occasions i leave michael and my beloved animals behind, i travel with photos of michael and my animal friends tucked into my daily journal....

thank you for the question as posed....

have a lovely day.

COFFEE & MORPHINE said...

My husband's pillow. *sigh* :)

Molly said...

If I can travel with anything, I have a special blanket my sister gave me for my wedding, I bring my writing notebook, I bring a knitting project, my camera, a small stack of books. We do travel a lot, though small trips, so I've gotten used to the routine... I go to writing conferences without Ryan, so I'm generally distracted. But I suspect travel will completely change when Baby Kiefer comes along... xoxo

jeannie b said...

I take a sketchbook, an instructional book on American Sign Language, camera, favorite pillow and M&Ms.
I enjoy your blog. Thank you for commenting on mine (art for Sorticulture)
jeannie