4.18.2009

The Season's Start




We're getting a later start in our garden than I had hoped. We had an unexpected stall. Somewhere in the back of my head, I wasn't comfortable with our existing planter boxes that were made of pressure treated wood. After a little research, I learned that pressure treated wood has the potential of seeping arsenic into the soil, among other harmful chemicals. So, new planting beds were a necessity. We were already hauling off the existing soil in exchange for new, chemical-free soil, so it made since to start everything fresh and organic.

We now have new un-treated planter boxes with organic soil. I'm thrilled. And Burl's even more excited about the arrival of new dirt to play in. Seriously, I'm not sure how I'm going to keep him out of the vegetable patches. At least now I don't have to worry about him getting arsenic poisoning from our garden. How scary is that?! Pressure treated wood is everywhere. At least now it's not in my yard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Exciting! And way to go on going with your instinct. I am always amazed how many planter beds I see, in people's well-intended gardens, that are made of toxic wood.

Looking forward to seeing your garden's progress.